Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sacred Avocado

I was cleaning my refrigerator out this morning when I noticed a crumpled paper bag stuffed between the cantaloupe and the heirloom tomatoes. It had a sag to the side and as I opened it, I saw, deep in, the avocado that I had been saving for a special salad I'd been planning. I'd bought it while it was still hard, not quite ripe, and had stuffed it into a paper bag (one of the great ways to ripen an avocado) to save for later.

Later.

Later came and was gone, and now the avocado was rotten! I'd saved it too long! I forgot to remember. I forgot to look back, deep enough into the drawer. I got caught up in my life and what was directly around me, rather than deep in the refrigerator drawer. 

Take a moment now. 

What have you forgotten? What have you been saving to express or savor until it's ripe? Or, worried it wasn't ripe enough to enjoy? What in your life needs incubation, and what needs to ripen?

Want to move toward expression in 3 steps?

1) Write your goal/wish down and break down your ultimate vision into smaller bits. Make a list of should do's, must do's, and would like to do's.

Keep in Mind: Writing goals down increases the likelihood of accomplishing them, according to a study looking at why Harvard grads make more money. It's all in the writing! Writing it down = commitment.


2) Choose ONE choice goal per day. More choices actually lead to more confusion and less action (e.g. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/your-money/27shortcuts.html), while choosing one goal increases your will power to do more.

3). Make your vision visible. Put this list or a sign of your goal in your vision (hiding it in a refrigerator drawer won't do!). Work on it daily. Write it down This is why Vision Boards work. 


When you look at your unique collection of skills or wishes, talents or dreams, what one step can you take today that moves you closer to expressing your sacred avocado dreams? ;)

******

Dr. Heather Schwartz is a relational and mindfulness-oriented psychologist in Portland who delights in working with warm and expressive people seeking inspiration, joy, and connection in their lives.


Heather Schwartz, Psy.D.
http://www.heatherschwartzpsyd.com
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/DrHeatherS

Keywords: goals, money, inspiration, talent, small business, start-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment