Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Opposite of Freeze is Freedom

"Whenever I feel forced to be creative, I freeze." Solution: Take away the force, and allow the freeze.

That is:

Embrace it. Don't fight it. Allow it.
Bring compassion to it.
And then, from that place of acceptance, do something.

Sometimes, doing something means:

1. No comparisons to other so-called, brilliant people. No comparisons to previous things you've done well. No comparisons to how you felt a moment before you realized you were going to be creative!

2. Act out the freeze. What's its name? Who does it play with? Bring that freeze to life! But, don't ask it to perform. ;)

3. What's the opposite of freeze? (To me, it's freedom, being free and open. It's warmth. Sun. Joy. Laughter. Whatever helps me feel open to possibility). 

4. If the opposite of freezing, slowing down, or stopping is freedom, how do you feel when you're free?

5. Step into a moment in time when you felt free. Visualize it, deeply. What were you wearing? What was the day like? Who were you with? (e.g. A summer day in Laurelhurst park with my dog, running, laughing uproariously as our larger dog leapt into the air and twisted, fell, and wriggled over to me, all 60 lbs of him!). 

6. How does free feel in your body? (e.g. My chest feels more open. I am breathing easily. I have a smile on my face. My thoughts are flowing easily).

6. Now, from this place of free, begin again.

Keywords: creativity, motivation, gestalt, performance anxiety, trust, psychotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment